Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Random Encounter

So recently I was reminded of “what I failed to do” in high school. In high school I worked at one place for about 2 ½ years. I was also very involve in Young Life in high school and tried to get my friends and people around me to come around. I also tried to be open about my faith and share what I believed and my relationship with Christ to other people. Well, there was this one guy I worked with that seemed interested in Young Life and in Jesus in general. We talked about God every now and then, but I never really talked to him one on one and discussed the gospel and what Jesus did for us and asked him what his response was the message of the gospel. Then I quit McD’s and never really saw this kid again.

Then I went back home recently and I saw this guy. I try not to judge people by their appearance, but I noticed his eyes were bloodshot and had other signs that he might not be doing well. Still I figured he could just be sick or had worked a long day. Then I started to talk to him, asking him questions like “What are you doing these days?” and “Where are you working?” These were simple small talk questions that one uses to start a conversation, right? Well, he did not hesitate to tell me that he has just been “smoking-out”. He also told me about his kid that he has, which he does care about very much. The mother apparently is not fit to take care of this child so he is working somewhere trying to support him and his daughter all at the age of 20. He is doing this all while still paying for his habit of weed. I am not one to judge ones actions, for God alone has this power. In fact I would not care enough to blog about it if it were just the fact that he had a kid. I mean we all make mistakes in our life, it’s the fact that he doesn’t know what he is doing and still continuing in a habit. There is nobody in his life to tell him what he is doing is not the most responsible thing with a kid. I mean I know a lot of people who had kids really young and yes this is not the best thing to do out of marriage or when you are young. It just seems like he is not in the greatest place and I wish I had remained in his life and was close enough to him that I could have the right to be heard. Anyways I didn’t really know what to say to him I just said that it was really exciting that he has a kid b/c he does seem to care about her, which is awesome. Anyways this kid seemed to miss my radar while I was in high school. I know that it is not my fault for where he currently is b/c it is not up to me for his salvation, God will take care of that. I just felt like I could have a few things a lot better back then, like being more intentional with spreading the gospel and remaining in contact with people. For the most part I feel like I am still not that good at this and wish I was better at it. I know God loves me, why can’t I tell others that? Why am I not screaming at the top of my lungs how great it is to know God loves me and to belong to him?

No comments: