Monday, February 18, 2008

Seeing Jesus in many dimensions

So I am constantly reminded of my spiritual immaturity and that have still have a lot of "unplowed ground". This is only one example, I am going through Matthew right now and it has been great. Here is one thing that I believe God has revealed to me.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV)

Previously, I have seen this passage and only seen Jesus as saying this in a narrow, almost aloof way as if "Its just too bad" but this is far from what I think Jesus is feeling while saying this. Yes, I know that Jesus is very frank sometimes and that he wants to get the truth out there so people are aware of the harsh realities of our destination. I also believe that Jesus has come not for just peace and rescue but to change the world

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34 (NIV)

You can take what you think about this verse, but I feel like its pretty straight-forward. Jesus came and people had to make a decision. Those that choose him would not be condemned. "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." Mark 16:16 (NIV) I think these verses go hand-in-hand. This is why I believe it is important to see Jesus and God in more than one "dimension". I feel like Jesus is bringing a sharp path and is very clear about what he demands.

The reason I am writing this is because I feel like I fail to remember sometimes that Jesus' heart aches for us to chose Him and follow Him. He anxiously is waiting to accept him and enter a relationship with him. It hurts him that only a few will choose his path. As he says that "few will enter" it cuts him deep. He desires that we would want to spend time with Him. This relates to the whole "bride-groom" image of Jesus I believe. But I also think it is just the character of God. Jesus came to Earth for one purpose. He loved us enough to die for us and to take on all our sins past, present, future. He did this so we would have the ability to enter His kingdom and to enter into His fellowship. We have been given the privilege to work for His kingdom and glory.

So as I read scripture I will try and do a better job of remembering this. Jesus is both bringing a sword but also a message of the greatest Love story ever. Ever.

No comments: