Friday, February 29, 2008

Holy Spirit

So lately I've been wondering what exactly is the Holy Spirit and what does it mean for me. There are plenty of verses that have "Holy Spirit" in them but here are a few:

John 14:25-27 (New International Version) 25"All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Counselor, the
Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

John 16:12-16 (New International Version)
"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

16"In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."

Hebrews 10:14-16 (New International Version)
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. 15The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: 16"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."


The Holy Spirit is how we continue to give God glory. Yet He is still God. I find it interesting that it says "He" in these verses and many more. It is important to note that the Holy Spirit is still God just as Jesus is God. They are different expressions. The Holy Spirit isnt just a thing, or a force. He is a person just like Jesus or the Father. This has always been difficult for me to understand but I think what all this means is that God is a team but is still one.
The Holy Spirit brings us to glorify Jesus and makes Him known to us-
Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. -Corinthians 12:3

And Jesus brings glorify the Father-
Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. -John 12:44

And by looking at these two verses you see can see something else. The Father sends the Holy Spirit and Jesus on his behalf. You see it is a perfect relationship. They each are God, Jesus said all authority was given to him. But as I said before the Holy Spirit is not just a thing. He loves us. He prays for us. He speaks to us. He has a will (just like God, because well he is God). And the scriptures refer to the Spirit as a person.

This is really cool to me because I can ask the Holy spirit for things and he will answer just as I would pray to God. Another thing to remember is that the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit is still ONE. We have one God in three forms that serve 3 functions. God has one will and one plan. He sends the Spirit to give us understanding and to reveal God to us. I think I need to be more in tune with the Holy Spirit if I want to see God better and to hear him. Also, I believe it is important to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit, just like we have a relationship with Jesus and the Father. But at the same time, we already do, because they are one in the same. Tough to grasp isn't it? Anyways, I am still learning what this means but I can definitely tell that the Holy Spirit is changing me and revealing things to me that I haven't seen before.

Welp, more on this later... to much for one post.

No comments: