Saturday, October 13, 2007

Owned by God

I realized last week that I kinda enjoy getting owned by God. Chances are good that if you are reading this you know what contact work is. So last week and this week I really did not feel like I had the time or the energy to go to the school. Honestly, when it comes down do it I just think I didn't want to go. But, I went anyways because that's what we do and I believe God has called me into this ministry for a purpose. Anyways, I go on Monday's, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Last Monday I go and it was after a really long day in school and I was exhausted and I just went.... When I got there, I saw a few of the guys I know but don't see very often and actually had a chance to talk to them. This is good, because at Oak Hills the kids are so numerous I feel like it is hard to follow up sometimes and track down that one kid. It was good to be able to remind them that Young Life still exists and show them that I enjoy being around them. This happened again on the following Tuesday and Friday, in fact now I know where to go to see these guys every time I come so now I can talk to them every time I am there which is pretty sweet.

Then another thing also happened that week, I was walking to my car when this group of kids that I am walking by yell, "Hey, that's a sweet shirt, man!" I don't even remember what shirt it was but I am pretty sure it wasn't that sweet but they liked it. So I got to talk to them a little and do the contact work thing and went on my way. Then, Friday, the same group of kids are there again and tell me "Hey, dude, where do you get all your cool t-shirts?" I mean I'm not just trying to be humble but again I wasn't wearing anything special, but the kids wanted to talk to me again so I got some follow-up. In fact they really wanted to see me this Monday so they could see the shirt I was wearing. This is strange to me, but not completely unbelievable. God shows me that he uses small and seemingly insignificant things to further and advance his will. I would have never guessed that my shirt I put on that day would help me in my contact work. But God did.

In both of these instances God showed me that I don't have control. I don't necessarily go to the school because I like to go, but because it works and God uses my time there and will use whatever he wants to to fulfill his will. He can use things that I would never even think of at all or even use our weaknesses to further his gospel. I feel like God just owned me because yea, I showed up, but he showed up even more so and he made me realize I do this for its effect on people and his ministry and not for me.

No comments: