Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sister

My sister is just awesome. I don't know who I would be without her in my life. When everyone thinks of what a big sister should be like, there is no doubt that Myra Denise Johnson should be what they should see. Dave Matthews made a song about his sister and I though it was just awesome the actual song is about 1 min 45 sec in:


Passing time with you in mind
It’s another quiet night
Feel the ground against my back
Counting stars against the black

Think about another day
Wishing I was far away
Wherever I dreamed I was
You were there with me


Sister, I hear you laugh
My heart fills full up
Keep me please
Sister, when you cry
I feel your tears
Running down my face
Sister, sister, keep me

I hope you always know it’s true
I would never make it through
You could make the sun go DARK
Just by walking away

Playing like we used to play
Like it would never go away
I feel you beating in my chest
I’d be dead without



Anytime I have gone through a rough time, she has always been there for me. The thing is my sister and I can be very different at times but at the same time, we are very similar. We both see the problem and dwell on it until it becomes almost unbearable. Its like we envelope our thoughts around it, and keep wrapping it and wrapping it until it has become so big that it is all our mind is capable of thinking about at the time. This is definitely a type of obsessive compulsive thing but it is how I work. So when things are tough, she knows exactly what I am doing and keeps me in check with that and helps to calm me down. Its like she knows what she needs to tell me for me to purge my obsessiveness. She lets me take the problem and let it be released and really see it from outside instead of looking at it from the inside out. This most likely will not make sense to anyone except those who do the same thing.


Tuesday night, Myra fell on the ice outside of our apartment on her way to work. She came back in and immediately I was shocked. Her entire face was covered in blood and it really scared me. I first did not know what happened. The worst thing is that I could not do much for her. I gave her some ice but could not find any bandages. I just felt like I couldn't do much to take care of her. And it really made me feel kinda helpless. Not to mention she was in severe pain. And just seeing her in that much pain was really hard on me.


The point is I really love my sister and can't imagine what I would do without her. Next year, she plans on moving to Boston to fulfill her career plans. I am excited for her to do this and I am very proud of her. But I still can't help but wonder what it will be like to not have her here. Still though, she is only a phone call away so I can't worry that much. Plus, Boston isn't that far away anyways and it gives me a reason to go up and visit Boston and New England. And that isn't until next August anyways, so I will deal with it when it happens.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Very well said, Derek. Let me just say that sister relationships are great, no matter how old you are. And, yes, you will deal with her moving to Boston. It will change your relationship, but sometimes, I think for the better. My sis and I see each other maybe once a month. But, the awesome thing is, we talk more now than we did when we lived together. So, treasure the relationship you have with Myra. There isn't anything like it. I pray that Cate and Emily are close like that when they grow up. Kristin Marks